Sunday, October 9, 2016

Don't be afraid of color


When I find a picture I want to paint, I look at the shapes and ignore the rest.
The sky is blue in the photo, but does it have to be blue? that's one of my starting points.

If my reference photo is a landscape in a cloudy day, but I love the composition, then I have to push the color.

I always have it present in my mind that using the same colors as the reference usually does not work. It does not work because:

- the camera shot probably changed or did not capture colors and light exactly as they were in reality.
- if you want to clearly represent a sense of depth, you have to use aerial perspective (which involves value and also color pushing) to achieve that.

Keep that in mind!


"Unreal magenta" 8x10 pastel- Available





No comments:

Post a Comment